Uncategorized

Rory McIlroy’s worst LIV Golf nightmares finally come true at his own making

Rory McIlroy has found his face included in the latest promotional posts put out by LIV Golf, having teamed up with rivals Brooks Koepka and Bryson DeChambeau for ‘The Showdown’ in December.

Partnered by world No. 1 Scottie Scheffler, McIlroy will take on Koepka and DeChambeau in a matchplay clash that will see heavyweights from the PGA Tour and LIV go head-to-head. While both the Tour and LIV had been kept out of the promotion of the event in Las Vegas, the latter have taken to social media to advertise the clash.

Rory McIlroy featured in the promo (Image: Getty Images)

Posting on social media on Monday, the breakaway league’s official X accounted tweeted: “It’s on in Vegas. CONFIRMED: The Showdown will take place December 17th at Shadow Creek.”

Included was a picture of those competing, including McIlroy. The Northern Irishman then took pride of place in a separate video post from the LIV team soon after, with a voiceover from the league’s commentator Arlo White describing the match as, “the golf event of the year.”

The chances of McIlroy’s face appearing across LIV’s various platforms this time last year would have seemed impossible, after the PGA Tour star repeatedly shut down the league’s position in men’s professional golf. Prior to its inception in 2022, McIlroy described LIV as ‘dead in the water’ after a number of PGA Tour players ruled themselves out of making the Saudi switch.

Some of which later went back on their word, with the likes of DeChambeau and Koepka initially shutting down a move to LIV, before eventually following in the footsteps of Phil Mickelson. Even after it was announced that a peace agreement between the two tours was to be made last June, McIlroy still stuck to his guns.

Speaking at the 2023 RBC Canadian Open a day after the infamous framework agreement announcement on June 6, McIlroy said: “I still hate LIV. Like, I hate LIV.

“Like, I hope it goes away. And I would fully expect that it does. And I think that’s where the distinction here is. This is the PGA Tour, the DP World Tour and the PIF. Very different from LIV.

“All I’ve tried to do is protect what the PGA Tour is and what the PGA Tour stands for. And I think it will continue to do that. So, look, going forward I hope that there’s, you know, there may be a team element and you’re going to see, maybe me, maybe whoever else play in some sort of team golf.

“But I don’t think it will look anything like LIV has looked and I think that’s a good thing.” Now the 35-year-old finds his face plastered across the LIV platforms, of course through his own doing having played his role in helping put together the December clash with his rivals.

In the year that has followed McIlroy’s past criticism, the Northern Irishman has softened his stance, even admitting he was ‘too judgmental’ of those who made the switch. All hostitlies appeared to have been put to bed at this month’s Alfred Dunhill Links Championship too, after McIlroy was seen enjoying the third round of the Pro-Am event alongside LIV chairman Yasir Al-Rumayyan.

Related Posts

Golf news: Tiger Woods ‘mess’, Rory McIlroy concerns and Masters star ‘struggling to walk’

Golf fans will undoubtedly be excited about next week’s Masters – but some of the pros could probably use a little more time. The first major of the 2025 season, the Masters, will be…

Phone Call That Killed Tiger Woods & Steve Williams’ Relationship Haunts Former Caddie to This Day: ‘Should’ve Listened’

“I don’t know if time heals, but when you step away from the Tour and sort of reflect on things, I felt it was time,” Steve Williams said, recalling…

Rory McIlroy dubbed ‘best in the world’ but Sir Nick Faldo sends crucial ‘history’ warning

Sir Nick Faldo says Rory McIlroy is playing better than anyone on the planet, but that is only part of the enigma he must crack as he vies to end…

𝙀𝙡𝙞𝙤

La nueva película animada de Pixar, Elio, ha lanzado un nuevo tráiler, que ofrece una mirada más cercana al protagonista Elio Solis, un niño de 11 años que…

𝙏𝙖𝙡𝙚𝙨 𝙤𝙛 𝙩𝙝𝙚 𝙐𝙣𝙙𝙚𝙧𝙬𝙤𝙧𝙡𝙙

“¿Cuál es la situación?” Lucasfilm y Disney+ han presentado el tráiler completo de Tales of the Underworld, la próxima serie antológica animada ambientada en el universo de Star…

𝙎𝙤𝙣𝙞𝙘 𝙏𝙝𝙚 𝙃𝙚𝙙𝙜𝙚𝙝𝙤𝙜 𝟰

Paramount Pictures ha anunciado la emocionante cuarta entrega de la saga de películas Sonic the Hedgehog, que presenta una nueva aventura épica con Keanu Reeves, Idris Elba, Jim…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *