Sports

Ian Costello happy with Munster’s ‘significant step up’ after victory over Stade

Munster interim head coach Ian Costello believes his side made a considerable step forward in their progress after a resounding 33-7 Champions Cup victory over Stade Francais.

After ending a three-game losing streak with a URC win against the Lions last weekend, Munster delivered a bonus-point start to their Pool 3 campaign on a freezing night in Limerick.

The hosts scored five tries in total, two of which came after the French outfit had both second rows, Pierre-Henri Azagoh and Baptiste Pesenti, sent off in a four-minute spell at the start of the second half.

“Again, like last week, there were some elements of the performance that we were delighted with,” said Costello. “I think it was probably a significant step up even.

“Obviously there was 15-18 minutes where we lost our way a little bit and it turned into a bit of a strange game but 60 minutes of that, we were really happy with.

“Specifically, our lineout was 100% again, looked really crisp, scrum was really solid, and when the game was quick, I thought we looked really, really good.

“For the second week in a row, I thought bar one moment, our defence was outstanding.

“And our attack was so good getting close to the line, but we left a few chances close to the line behind us. But that’s exciting, we have something to build on for the next six days.”

Munster opened the scoring 16 minutes in with player of the match Thaakir Abrahams touching down before centurion Shane Daly grabbed a second in the 29th minute.

“I think we had to grind it out, the first 20 minutes, in particular,” captain Diarmuid Barron, whose side travel to Castres on Friday, said.

“Stade were incredibly physical, felt every bit of it and we had to come out.

“Those two first tries felt satisfying because we did have to work hard for them and to finish the way we finished as well, I know they were down to 13 but you know, like Cozzy said, it got messy for a bit and we had the composure to come back and finish that in the corner.

“So that was satisfying as well.”

Alex Kendellen, Tom Farrell and Gavin Coombes added second-half tries for Munster, while the visitors grabbed a late consolation.

Meanwhile, Stade head coach Paul Gustard was left to rue his side’s loss of discipline at the start of the second period.

“At half-time we were relatively happy, 14-nil down playing into a strong wind,” he told.

“We did a lot of things well…then two relatively easy tries in the end for Munster.

“Then second half, we had 10 minutes of madness that really cost us dear.

“It’s difficult to watch. The first one, probably no complaints, the second one was one of those that looks a bit worse than it was. I can understand why it was a red card but to lose both the second rows, it took a lot of juggling around.

“In the end it was just too much, you can’t play against a team with the international quality that Munster have and try and win a match.”

Related Posts

Baseball fans are in awe of Shohei Ohtani’s stunning walk-off home run against the Braves

Just Ohtani doing Ohtani things. The Los Angeles Dodgers have already had an excellent start to their season, but no moment so far has been as electric as superstar…

เผย นักเตะไทย ยู-23 ชุดโดฮา คัพ 2025 ได้เบี้ยเลี้ยงวันละ 1,500 บาท

ตามที่ทีมข่าว Ballthai.com ได้เคยรายงานเรื่องของเงินเบี้ยเลี้ยงของ “ทีมชาติไทย U20” ที่ตกรอบแบ่งกลุ่มชิงแชมป์เอเชีย 2025 ที่จีน ด้วยผลงาน เสมอ 1 นัด และแพ้ 2 นัด แต่ทว่านักเตะที่ไปลุยรายการนี้ ได้เบี้ยเลี้ยงรวมไม่ถึง 10,000 บาท ทั้งที่อยู่ในแคมป์รวม 39 วัน อย่างไรก็ตามทีมงานได้รับข้อมูลเพิ่มเติมว่า ทีมชาติไทย ชุดโดฮา คัพ 2025 ซึ่งเรียกเก็บตัวตั้งแต่วันที่…

EL IMPRESIONANTE HOMENAJE DE NADAL A ALEX EALA TRAS LA DERROTA EN LA SEMIFINAL DEL MIAMI OPEN CONMOCIONA A LOS AFICIONADOS, Y LUEGO LANZA UNA BOMBA IMPRESIONANTE: La da la bienvenida oficialmente como su protegida con un contrato multimillonario sin precedentes

En un sorprendente giro de los acontecimientos en el Abierto de Miami, la leyenda del tenis Rafael Nadal dejó al mundo del deporte asombrado tras un emotivo momento…

ศึกศักดิ์ศรี! ไทย ปะทะ เวียดนาม “โค้ชเวียดนาม” ประกาศกร้าวขอคว้าชัยเหนือ “ทีมชาติไทย U17”

ศึกศักดิ์ศรี! ไทย ปะทะ เวียดนาม “โค้ชเวียดนาม” ประกาศกร้าวขอคว้าชัยเหนือ “ทีมชาติไทย U17” วันที่ 2 มี.ค. 68 ก่อนการแข่งขันฟุตบอลกระชับมิตรรายการพิเศษ ฟุตบอลหญิงทีมชาติไทย U17 พบกับ ทีมชาติเวียดนาม U17 ระหว่างวันที่ 1-4 เมษายน 2568 ณ กรุง ฮานอย สาธารณรัฐสังคมนิยมเวียดนาม ภายใต้การคุมทัพของ “โค้ชมิ่ม” ธิดารัตน์…

Mookie Betts Issues a Brave Proclamation Regarding Shohei Ohtani

There’s little argument as to who is the best overall baseball player on the Los Angeles Dodgers: Shohei Ohtani.  Of course, Mookie Betts isn’t far behind him on the consensus rankings with…

สุดจริง “ทีมชาติไทย” ได้ข่าวดีเพิ่มอีก หลัง “จูด เบลล์” ส่งสัญญาณเลือกเล่นให้ (คลิป)

ฮือฮา จูด เบล ยิงประตูได้ทันที หลังมีข่าวลือลุ้นเล่นให้ทีมชาติไทยมากขึ้น วันที่ 31 มีนาคม 2568 หลังจากที่ จูด เบลล์ ดาวเตะลูกครึ่งไทย-อังกฤษ จัดการลบอิโมจิธงชาติอังกฤษออก เหลือไว้เพียงธงชาติไทยเท่านั้น ทำให้แฟนบอลเริ่มเอ่ยถึงความเป็นไปได้ในการลงเล่นให้ทีมชาติไทย จูด เบลล์ เล่นในตำแหน่งกองหน้าตัวเป้า ซึ่งเป็นตำแหน่งที่ทีมชาติไทยขาดแคลนพอสมควร หลัง ธีรศิลป์ แดงดา บาดเจ็บยาว และล่าสุด พาตริก กุสตาฟส์สัน ก็บาดเจ็บเอ็นไขว้หน้าขาด…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *